The NFL has actually historically had actually its problems promoting African-Americans to management positions, as such the number of Black coaches v the longevity and also winning track record to be taken into consideration even very an excellent is no plentiful.
You are watching: How many black coaches have won the superbowl
The sample size is method too little right now and unfortunately, it’s dwindling again as the implementation that the Rooney Rule continues to go widely ignored by owner unwilling to step exterior of their cultural comfort zone to find diverse coaching candidates.
In 2017, we had actually a document eight decimal head coaches beginning the season: Chargers Anthony Lynn, Denver’s Vance Joseph, Cincinnati’s Marvin Lewis, Pittsburgh’s Mike Tomlin, Detroit’s Jim Caldwell, Cleveland’s Hue Jackson, the jet Todd Bowles and Carolinas Ron Rivera (Hispanic).
Entering the 2020 season, there space just 4 minority coaches; Tomlin (Steelers), Lynn (Chargers), Rivera (Washington) and Brian Flores (Dolphins)
Some that the men on this list will be thought about iconic pioneers in 20 years, once at least half of the league’s head coaches will be African-American (we hope), i m sorry would an ext proportionately reflect the virtually 75 percent of African-American players that comprise the league.
So in essence, because of the unique aligned and deeply-rooted situations that have prohibited their growth into head coaches, black coaches truly autumn in a classification of their own and should it is in honored accordingly.
1. Tony Dungy – The very first black head coach to success a supervisor Bowl once his Peyton Manning-led Colts defeated the Chicago bear in Super key XLI. Dungy to be head coach of the Tampa only Buccaneers from 1996 come 2001 and also Indianapolis from 2002 to 2008. He to be the model of consistency and the summary of good character and set a brand-new NFL record for consecutive playoff appearances by a head coach through 10 to finish his career. Dungy likewise was an extremely pivotal in helping Mike Vick obtain a 2nd chance and transition back into the NFL after ~ a jail stint because that dogfighting in the interim derailed Vick’s brilliant career.
2. Mike Tomlin – became the 2nd black head coach to victory a chip in 2009 once he win the Arizona Cardinals in Super bowl XLIII. He is the just one to appear in multiple supervisor Bowls. At just 47 years old, the Hampton, Va. Product is thought about a wily veteran of the agree coaching business. Tomlin is one arduous worker, who in his spare time reads Casinonic Casino evaluation to take it a break from his coaching responsibilities. He’s the tenth African-American head coach in NFL background and he will probably come to be considered the finest one once he’s done. In 13 seasons, Tomlin has actually made the playoffs 8 times and also he’s 133-74-1 (.642) as a head coach.
Despite going 8-8, this previous season was probably one the Tomlin’s finest coaching work as the Steelers were ruined by injury, drama, player discontent and also fan frustration, but he had them contending for a playoff spot so late in the season.
3. Dennis Green – The second African-American head coach in division I-A history with Stanford. In 1992, Green ended up being the second African-American head coach in the contemporary NFL era. Although he never ever won a supervisor Bowl, he helped revolutionize NFL offenses, proved his capacity to command men and also execute with intelligence from his days together head coach at Stanford college to his glory year leading the Minnesota Vikings renewal in the 1990’s. In 10 years with the Vikings, eco-friendly was a 97-62 and also made the playoffs eight times.
4. Art covering — He to be the very first black head coach in the NFL’s contemporary era. Covering coached because that the Los Angeles Raiders native 1989-94, make the playoffs half the time and took the Raiders to the AFC Championship game in 1990. During those year in LA, Shell had actually a record of 54-38 and just one shedding season.
5. Fritz Pollard: He to be the very first black NFL coach and also the an initial African-American soccer player in ~ Brown. He became the first black running back to be called to the Walter Camp All-America team. Pollard played agree football with the Akron Pros and also led them come the NFL (APFA) championship in 1920.
In 1921, he became the co-head coach the the Akron Pros, while likewise beasting the end of the backfield. Pollard, in addition to all ripe of the black color players in the NFL at the time, were permanently eliminated from the league at the end of the 1926 season. Pollard additionally published the first black-owned newspaper in new York City, the new York live independence News, native 1935 come 1942.
See more: What Is Pyruvic Acid Changed Into In Alcoholic Fermentation In Chemistry?
John Wooten, a trailblazing afri American front office executive during the 1970’s, 80’s, and 90’s, referred to as a meeting at the 2003 NFL Combine. End a hundred coaches, scouts and front office personnel of shade showed up, and also Wooten, civil rights lawyer Cyrus Mehri and former san Diego Chargers room of Famer Kellen Winslow emphasize the importance of collectively pushing for equal employment opportunity throughout the NFL. The team resolved to kind an organization and also took the surname Fritz Pollard Alliance in respect of Fritz Pollard, the NFL’s very first African American head coach.